Sunday, October 29, 2023

What's in a name?

Yesterday I had the daunting task of getting my oil changed.  I had called earlier in the week to make and appointment at the dealership in which I bought the car. I pulled up and parked and I noticed that there was two men talking to the man at the service desk. To my surprise when I walked in the man at the desk did not hesitate and asked me if he could help me. I told him my name and he asked "will you be leaving or staying"? I replied I would be staying.  I turned and walked over to the waiting room. Just as I was sitting down I remembered that my husband wanted me have them check another thing in the car.  I quickly walked back over and told him.  As I walked out an older man held the door open for me.  Something that is not a practice for younger men now days but that is another blog. I thanked him and he said "mam, did I hear you say your name was Reitz?'  I replied yes and then he said " Do you happen to be related to?"  I replied quickly "Charles"?   His face lit up and he said "Yes."  This is usually the prelude to a conversation about how they knew my father n law and how much he meant to them.

My father n law was Charles Reitz.  He was a local pastor for many years.  He served in the Korean war.  When he came home from the war he went to college and became a pastor.  He served at many churches throughout the years.  He was bold in his belief about Christ.  He touched many people in his lifetime, many that we will never meet. 

Today was the exception,  I was meeting one of those people. As I sat down in the waiting room the man shook my hand and introduced himself to me. I the same.  We started talking and he wanted me know how much my father n law meant to him.  He began to tell me how he knew him and his wife and how much of inspiration he was to him.  We continued to talk for a long time about one subject to another. Our conversation ended of course when our vehicles were finished.   As I drove home I had to call Tim about something.  I told him about the man and he had no idea who I was speaking about.  I told him where he lived, his childrens names, his wife's name, and where he went to church. Still no idea.  So with this conversation and many others I have had my mind started thinking.  What is in a name?

A name is so powerful.  It is basically all that we can leave when we pass away that will last for years to come. What we attach to our name is up to us.  What do we want people to say about us when they hear our name after we pass away.   Our name can have a positive meaning by what we do in our lives.  Serving, giving and doing all things in Christs name, or it can have and negative impact by being selfish , hatred and not serving our Lord.  



No comments: