Tuesday, May 22, 2012

When sheets talk

Spring cleaning has not been a priority to me this year.  I have been so busy putting out little fires with money or time.  This entire school year has been centered around two beautiful girl who are preparing for their next step in life.  One graduating eighth grade and the other graduating high school.  It is sad to say but my house cleaning has not been on the top of my list of things to do.  I have managed to keep up with the daily cleaning but not with the things that are hidden.  Such as clutter closets, drawers and cabinets.  So with the girls out today because cleaning the house with kids at home is like washing your car in the rain.  The first task at hand would be the LINEN CLOSET.  As I opened it I pulled all the sheets out and the games I started to think.You see it is a combo closet:the bottom of the closet is full of games and the top is all my sheets and blanket.  So I started to fold them one by one and the memories started to flood my brain.  You see  I have saved all the sheets from when my girls were babies. First it was the baby blanket my oldest had. It had red in it and some told me she would become a angry child.  I think it made her smart.  It reminded me of  her colicky nights and her crying.  She eventually became a fat sweet baby.  Karlie's baby blanket reminded when I decorated her room knowing what she was and keeping it from Tim  That was so much fun.  Then there were the next set of school age blankets and sheets.  First Taylor went from a blue plaid  room with teddy bears to  a golden yellow room with horses.  She loves horses and hated the day we sold them.  There were the many sheets that accompanied them to summer camps year after year.  Boy there were so many good memories  at camp.  I remember sending Taylor to camp in Alabama and Karlie and I driving to Tennessee to go on vacation by ourselves.  I was so proud of myself for making that trip without Tim.  The sheets reminded of the many tents made on rainy days  and hot summer days. Then there are the sheets that now decorate their beds.  Taylor's remind of my friends who decorated her room while we were on vacation.  They did such a great job.  The sheet will always bring back the memories of the many sleep overs for the past years.  Waking up and seeing bodies everywhere.  Sometimes there was a surprise body that was not there when I went to bed.  They remind me of all of Taylor's good friends who have spent the night and became my adopted daughters.  Then there were the sheets of a special teenager who came to live with us for a year.  As I put the last sheet up and straightened up all the games I closed the closet and smiled.  Who knew Sheets could talk.

No comments: